We deliver highway projects for private developers, contractors, and local authority clients in all sectors. Schemes range from local transport networks to major highways.
We capitalise on the range of skills across our in-house civil and structural teams to provide an integrated design approach. We deliver the full project requirements including Earthworks, Drainage and Structures.
Our highway, road and street design services include:
- Desktop studies/site investigations
- Feasibility studies
- Preliminary design advice
- Carbon reduction strategy
- Conceptual design
- Pre-start meetings
- Detailed highway and junction design
- Preparation of construction drawings
- Tender appraisals
- Site visits
- Preparation of As-Built drawings
We can provide the likely cost and deliverability implications for on-site works or off-site works.
Off-site work is where a local authority has identified the need for additional highways improvements to be completed before the main works can safely go ahead. Our advice is important to help manage the budget and address any arising implications that could affect delivery of the programme, e.g., Public Rights of Way or the need to obtain additional third-party land.
We understand the importance of effective engagement with stakeholders throughout the delivery of a highway project. We meet each local authority’s specific requirements for timely adoption, helping clients with the following:
Section 38 agreement
- Where a new estate road for residential, industrial, or general traffic is required, we can negotiate this agreement with the local highway authority’s engineer on behalf of our client, and provide plans indicating the design, construction, and specifications.
Section 278 agreement
- For works to the existing highway outside of our client’s site, we can prepare the detailed design drawings in accordance with relevant design standards and submit them to the local highway authority for technical approval.
Section 184 agreement
- We can prepare the design and construction drawings for any alterations to site access where necessary in isolation to enable progress of a development, or for highways works needed in advance of the main works under a S38 or S278 Agreement.
We manage additional works to support agreement processes, which could include facilitating road safety audits, topographical surveys, drainage surveys, street light design, and diversion of services.
We can help with other related highway design agreements, such as undertaking improvements to unadopted and unmade roads to bring them up to adoptable standards.
We use the latest design tools and software including:
- AutoCAD to produce detailed design drawings
- Site3D and Civil 3D for infrastructure and highways modelling
- AutoCAD Vehicle Tracking to assess vehicle sweeping paths
- Traffic management software including KeyLINES, KeySIGN and KeyPOST
- BIM to provide data-rich 3D models